Please use our nomination form to submit a new name for consideration.
HOW DO I ADD OR CHANGE INFORMATION IN A HISTORY MAKER’S PROFILE?
To request changes or additions of information to enhance a profile such as a photo, link, or biographical details, please email email@example.com with the information. Be sure to provide any resources you have to verify requested changes or added information.
CAN I WRITE A PROFILE OF THE PERSON I NOMINATED (OR SOMEONE ELSE)?
Yes! We encourage people to volunteer to write draft profiles for us. We do ask that you receive confirmation of a nomination’s acceptance first and that you conform to our editorial guidelines. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in drafting a profile and to receive the editorial guidelines prior to beginning the researching and writing process. We will ask that you keep a detailed list of resources you use and the facts you use from each. Please note that your draft will be edited for content, grammar, and length. The Office of the Gender & Women’s Studies Librarian and the UW Board of Regents will maintain copyrights to any written profiles included in WWMH. We are working on a way to indicate contributors to profiles on the site.
HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHO WILL BE INCLUDED ON THE SITE?
We have an Advisory Board of experts and leaders from across Wisconsin to help decides what women will be included on the site. To be considered, a person must identify as a woman and have in some way made a significant contribution to Wisconsin’s legacy. One doesn’t necessarily have to have been born in Wisconsin but must have spent enough time here to have done something that has made a lasting legacy here. This project is inclusive of trans women and non-binary individuals.
HOW CAN I VOLUNTEER FOR THIS PROJECT?
If you are interested in helping out with the WWMH project, please email email@example.com. Our volunteers can help us research and write profiles, find photographs, and more.
DO YOU EVER GIVE PRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE PROJECT?
Yes! We welcome requests for presentations about this project, ideas for programming or partnerships, and more. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with inquiries.
HOW CAN I MAKE A DONATION TO THE PROJECT?
Please email our project manager, Karla Strand, about possible donations at email@example.com.
I MADE A NOMINATION A LONG TIME AGO AND I STILL DON’T SEE IT ON THE SITE. WHAT’S TAKING SO LONG?
The process from nominating a woman for inclusion in WWMH to the final profile being on the site is a long one. First, each nomination is considered for inclusion by our staff. Currently we have a list of over 400 nominations of amazing women! Once a nomination is accepted, the following process must take place:
- Research – The woman’s history is researched through primary and secondary sources and a list of resources is maintained.
- Writing the profile – A draft profile is written, according to our editorial guidelines.
- Fact checking and editing the profile – Our editors meticulously fact check and edit each profile so that it is correct and well-written.
- Locating a photograph – We work with the Wisconsin Historical Society, families, and others to find and obtain permissions to use a photograph of the woman on the WWMH site. The photo is scanned as a high-resolution digital image.
- Uploading the profile – When the profile is finalized, it is sent, along with the digital image, to our project manager for uploading to the WWMH site. A PDF is created for easy printing.
- the editor and editorial intern, who research, write, fact check, and edit every profile as well as find the photographs and obtain permissions to use them on the site;
- the WWMH intern who manages nominations, tracks where each woman is in our workflow, communicates with partners, and much more; and
- the project manager who oversees the project, uploads profiles to the site, creates PDFs of each, manages the site, and coordinates email communications and marketing.